Pedorthists use custom foot orthotics inserted into the shoe to support, align, prevent, and accommodate foot problems.
Pedorthists are foot orthotic and orthopaedic footwear specialists. They are experts in designing, fitting and modifying custom made orthotics and orthopaedic footwear. Custom foot orthotics can be inserted into the shoe to support, align, prevent and/or accommodate foot abnormalities and improve how the foot functions.
Used in conjunction with appropriate footwear, a foot orthotic can be effective in helping to treat a number of foot and lower limb problems such as heel or arch pain, shin splints, or knee pain. Foot orthotics can also help address foot and lower limb pain and complications related to health conditions such as diabetes and arthritis.
Pedorthists can help:
- Alleviate painful or debilitating conditions of the lower limb
- Accommodate foot deformities
- Re-align anatomical structures
- Redistribute external and internal forces
- Improve balance
- Control biomechanical function
- Accommodate circulatory special requirements
- Enhance actions of limbs compromised as a result of accident, congenital deformity, neural condition, or disease
Certified Pedorthists can provide:
- Assessment through observation of surface anatomy and palpation of the limb, gait analyses, range-of-motion testing, footwear analysis and review of potentially complicated health factors
- Casting, manufacturing, fitting and adjusting orthoses
- Fitting and modifying standard and orthopaedic footwear
- Accommodating/incorporating complementary assistive devices
Casting and measuring for custom footwear